back Sign in to reply!

Television

Elena - former Community Manager avatar
27 April 2011 11:35

This discussion is to chat about our favourite TV shows.

Once again, I'll kick it off! : )  You don't all have to write as much as I have, by the way...

I have to admit that I don't watch TV very often. And when I do it's usually documentary-style shows, or something like Relocation or cooking shows, interior decorating shows, etc.

But I have 2 all-time favourite TV shows:

1. The Sopranos
I'm currently up to Season 6, and this is my third time watching the whole series. I've got the complete box set, and I love it! Pretty much I love any gangster films, and to me The Sopranos is like the longest running Sopranos movie ever shown, broken down into hourly installments. It's the characters that I love most of all, and the screen writing as well. Start to finish, it's a solid piece of good TV and never fails to make me think. I remember when I first started watching it, I couldn't even understand their Northeastern American accents (and I'm an American...!) but gradually I got to where I didn't miss a word.

2. Twin Peaks
This series first aired when I was 14. It was the first TV show that I told my mother I'd be staying up late to watch it every Thursday. I have the complete box sets on VHS and DVD, I've got all the books, the fanzines...ok I'm a little embarrassed now admitting all of this, haha.... But I love it. It's dark, yet simple - it's basically a show about how good and evil coexist in the world. It's a classic, and I pretty much love anything David Lynch does.

How about you?

Prev Page 1 2 3 4 5 ... 13 Next Page
First reply at top      Last reply at top
JosieB avatar
19 November 2009 11:22

Hi

Well, like you Elena I like the property programmes and also the antique ones, like Bargain Hunt.  As for the series type programmes I just love CSI and NCIS, Criminal Minds, Cold Case - in other words all the crime-solving stuff but especially the forensics ones.

Just now I am enjoying the re-run of Dr Quinn, Medicine Woman, but I am a sucker for all these feel good programmes - I loved the Waltons, Little House on the Prairie and things of that ilk where even the major dramas are resolved in an hour!!!  If only!!

Josie - Community Champion

19 November 2009 12:21

I haven't thought about the Waltons in years!

8 January 2010 09:57
Has anyone watched "Being Human" and if so, is worth me checking out? I heard it was filmed in Bristol so that's why I thought about watching it. I heard some people really, really love it....
11 January 2010 11:54

^ Well, I watched the first episode of the second season last night and it was ok. Cool to see Bristol landmarks but I didn't really get into the show a whole lot. Maybe because I couldn't figure out what was going on exactly!

An another note, I've been meaning to say for a while that my husband made me wathc all of "Children of the Stones" - a classic 70's TV show for kids and I wondered if any of you remember it?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Children_of_the_Stones

Leanne avatar
11 January 2010 14:29

I really enjoyed the return of Larkrise to Candleford last night, its something both my husband and myself really enjoy. Gives us something lovely to look forward to in January :)

Leanne - Community Champion

Leanne
Matt Joyce avatar
11 January 2010 15:00

I love "being human", watched the new series last night and thought it was really good.

I also really like Hustle too, that has just come back and survivors is back too.

Sadly I really like Time Team as well, people often take the mick out of me but hey

Matt 

JosieB avatar
11 January 2010 19:15

Well I was delighted to see "Wild at Heart" back on last night, love it.    As for "Time Team", Matt, my wee aunt that I take to her hospital appointments loves it and watches it every day on her Cable TV, four episodes back to back and wont miss it for anything - I tell her its because she is an old relic herself  LOL!!!

12 January 2010 09:45
I noticed that "Wild at Heart" show. I was well excited because I thought that it was the old David Lynch film, "Wild at Heart" so I was getting prepared to watch it and then I realised...
Sarat avatar
13 January 2010 10:29

Does anyone else watch The Big Bang Theory?  I just love it, having hated it when I first started watching because I thought it was making fun of people with Aspergers.  I soon realised that it wasn't doing that at all.  In fact the character with Aspergers is the big hit character that the audience love and has become a major star.   I think it is brilliant at showing people the difference between someone with Aspergers and people who might get called "geeks" but who are not on the spectrum.

Sara

bumblebee avatar
13 January 2010 11:37

I haven't heard of the big bang theory, what day/channel is it on? I'd like to take a look!

Anyone into Big Brother? I think it could just be me!! I am not into hard work TV if you know what I mean! I like to relax and be spoonfed by the programmes I watch it helps my brain relax!! Although I love to watch films....all types of films too like thrillers, horror, kids films, oldies, action etc......love em!  

Claire - Community Champion

Claire
Leanne avatar
13 January 2010 11:47

Hi Claire

My daughter is watching the celebrity big brother at the moment.. and is really loving it.

I have to listen to the little updates with interest .. all completely genuine of course. I hardly recognise any of the people in it this year.Is that me showing my age or just that they are z listers.

Leanne - Community Champion

Leanne
Sarat avatar
13 January 2010 12:50

The Big Bang Theory is on Channel Four and E4, and usually repeated on both, so you can watch each episode 3 or 4 times (or catch it on 4 on demand) if you are obsessed enough. :o)   It is about 4 geeky scientists and Penny, the girl who lives opposite the 2 main characters, who is a waitress and would-be actress.  The leading character is Leonard,  who spent the first 2 series wanting to date Penny and as the 3rd series begins they have finally got it together.  His flat-mate is Sheldon, who is a genius and has very obviously got Aspergers although it is never actually stated in the show.  He has become the star because of the things that he says and the way he behaves - not caring at all about social niceties, being very rigid and obsessive, etc etc whilst being very obviously brilliant.

I think new episodes show first on E4 at 9.00 p.m. on Thursdays and are repeated on 8.00 p.m. on Saturdays.  They are also shown on Channel 4 at 11.15 on Tuesdays and used to be repeated on Sunday lunchtimes but not at the moment. (I think Celebrity Big Brother is in that slot now.)

Sara

13 January 2010 13:46
I thought at first you were talking about a science documentary! ;-P  Looks like an interesting show!
JosieB avatar
15 January 2010 14:04

My kids love that programme ... the boys have a boxed set of one of the series and Tom watches it all the time ... as well as Scrubs .... I have never watched either of them.

8 February 2010 14:58

I just started watching this BBC documentary on YouTube called "The woman who thinks like a cow", about Temple Grandin.

Part 1 is here (looks like there are 5 parts in total):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46ycu3JFRrA&feature=related

Has anyone seen it?

I came across is while I was looking to see if there was anything about the new film which aired over the weekend in the US starring Claire Danes, "Temple Grandin: Innovator, Activist, Autistic"

You can see a trailer for the film here:

http://planetthrive.com/2010/01/temple-grandin-innovator-activist-autistic/

Prev Page 1 2 3 4 5 ... 13 Next Page
First reply at top      Last reply at top
back Sign in to reply!