back Sign in to reply!

Risperidone & Prozac

JeanneA avatar
17 November 2010 14:01
Hi could anyone offer any advice please as I'm really desperate. Glen's behaviour problems are escalating. Recently the psychiatrist increased the prozac from 10mls to 12.5mls each morning and the risperidone from 1ml to 2.5mls each morning and 1ml each evening. It hasn't helped at all. Glen had already deteriorated before the increase so I wouldn't like to blame it on that. I'm just so concerned, the psychiatrist is on leave so I cannot confide in her. Glen is hitting himself more each day and is hitting others including myself. I am wondering whether the medication is just not working anymore or the 2 medications just don't work together?

Glen was originally put on risperidone at the beginning of March of 1ml in the morning and 1ml in the evening. At the beginning of May I was told to give him 5mls (20mg) of prozac in the mornings alongside the risperidone, this was increased to 10mls (40mg) about a month later, the risperidone dose didn't change until recently.

If anyone can shed any light on this I would be really grateful.
Elena - former Community Manager avatar
17 November 2010 14:34

Hi Jeanne, I noticed that this is very similar to the previous discussion you started called "Prozac & Risperidone".

You might want to continue the discussion there as people who were chatting with you will all get notification emails and can come lend a hand more quickly (I know you said you're desperate and it seems quite urgent to me too).

http://www.talkaboutautism.org.uk/search/node/risperidone

Hope that will help. : )

Elena

damo73 avatar
17 November 2010 15:46

Persoanlly I would not go near either of them - but that is me - others disagree.  Drugs can have side-effects and an increased dosage may be well be the cause of heightened confusion and anxiety / sensory overload.  Just saying, that I would not count it out.

Damian - Community Champion

Damian - Retired Community Champion
bumblebee avatar
17 November 2010 16:09

Hi Jeanne,

Personally - and it is just my opinion...I agree with Damian. Not only that I wouldnt use either, but also that tiny ammounts can sometimes be better than increasing the ammounts in people on the spectrum. Tonly Attwood - a professor and world lead on Aspergers/autism, said this at the conference I attended last year... This blog looks interesting http://anotherpieceofthepuzzle.com/autism-aspergers-conference-with-dr-tony-attwood-part-2 But there may be more info online if you google Tony attwood and other related words...

My daughters Prozac was increased at the point of crisis - infact it was doubled to more than an adult dose (she was 13 and very petitie). The Psych also gave her anti-psychotics and none had any effect on her mental state, nor did they help her cope better. I would try and listen to what your gut reaction is telling you...I have found its usually right as parents usually have a 6th sense where their children are concerned. If you think it is not the right thing, I'd google and gather as much info as you can and present this to the Psych when you can get to see her...

Please remember, if Glen or you are really not coping and you are concerned for his or your safety, please take him to your nearest A&E, tell them the situation and ask for him to be admitted until he can have a Pscyh assessment. I did this with my daughter before she tried to harm herself for the third time and thank goodness I did as I have no doubt it would have escillated. This is what you should have been advised to do in an emergency if you cannot contact your Psych...dont wait until either you are Glen are harmed.  

Claire 

Claire
michaelk avatar
17 November 2010 21:46

Hi Jeanne

I  would be very cautios with  uping the prozac like Claire we had a bad experience with it that ended with Dan in the pediatric psych ward for 5 days. we had a better result with risderdone but have known other people who have had neg results with it. I am probably muddying the waters with this but a med that Dan does wonderful on is abilify. Not sure if this med is aval in UK and you do need to check sugar levels every couple months so it is  not perfect but it works good for him and he was very aggressive before this.

Mike

bumblebee avatar
18 November 2010 20:21

Hi Michael,

My daughter also ended up on a Psych ward for 5 weeks after being on Prozac for about 18 months. They upped the dose about a week or 2 before she was admitted and it did nothing.  

When my daughter was in the Psych hospital, I found the staff really didint understand autism or Aspergers. Did you find you got the right support for Dan and you when he was admitted? Also, do you have a child or adolecent service there which works with children with autism/Aspergers in the community?

Claire 

Claire
michaelk avatar
19 November 2010 03:26

Hi Claire

thankfully it was only 5 days for Dan because no they did not understand autism in there the had a general special ed class in there so the kids could still go to school but the teachers only had very general knowledge. the Drs and nurses were not much better and were more used to dealing with kids with much more severe mental disturbances. here how the system is set up varies state to state in my state if you get a psych eval that says it is nessesary than yes there is funding and agencies to provide those services. when it gets tough is when they become adults if they still need supports at that point it is much harder to get.

Mike

JeanneA avatar
19 November 2010 18:35
I spoke to a psychiatrist this afternoon from camhs, she said that both the prozac and risperidone should be fine especially as Glen has been on the prozac since May and risperidone since March. I do however think you have a good point regarding the prozac.
Glen actually hit the social worker this afternoon when she came to see him. He is just so aggressive and I am very concerned for my own safety at the moment.
michaelk avatar
20 November 2010 00:25

Hi Jeanne

my biggest concern with what the psychiatrist told you was even if he is ok with them from a health standpoint with the amount of aggression you are discribing it does not seem to be working so why keep him on it. My wife and I have always had the philosophy that if it isn't getting the desired result why is he on it. hope they get something figured out for him my thoughts are with you.

Mike

bumblebee avatar
21 November 2010 22:19

Hi Mike,

I have gone onto my link on the 'ask a parent section' to chat with you about your post, I hope that is ok!

Claire 

Claire
back Sign in to reply!